Welcome to my blog!

Hi there!

This blog is related to my autobiography DMD Life art and me plus there will be non related posts. I have the disease Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and that has left me in a near paralyzed state, I wrote this book in 10 months using one finger clicking one mouse button on one on screen keyboard! Be a follower by clicking in the box on the right and you'll get every new post I make. Feel free to join in with your comments and enjoy!

Ian,

Author and Digital Artist

Tuesday 7 February 2012

Diet time again? But not what you think...




It seems to be that time of year when everyone needs to diet or change themselves. The DMD diet isn't glamorous or a fad, it's a strange eat it while you can diet until you can no longer eat in the usual sense. You start off young eating all the joys of food you can and usually get pretty large. Then the disease kicks in, appetites decline, swallowing gets really hard or chewing wears you out and you lose weight quicker than any celebrity! There is a way to gain weight back and it invovles supplements and foods higher in fat and I personally used full fat milkshakes. So while the rest of the world is obsessed with losing weight we are fighting to keep some. I wouldn't recommend a DMD diet, its major drawback is dying young and missing out on something we enjoy.

Extract;
....It’s hard thinking back to what I could eat then. I will always have memories of wonderful restaurants and am grateful to have tasted such a vast variety of foods while I could. Losing this pleasure in life was and still is a huge body blow to me...

This is no pity party however, DMD will be cured and this diet will end up in the bin with many others! Read about how someone lives with Duchenne whilst waiting for this cure in my book DMD Life art & me, and buy here; http://duchennemen.net16.net/buymybook.html




Foreword

I’m Ian Griffiths from South Wales. This book is a story of my life so far up to the age of twenty five years. I live with and suffer from the ill effects of DMD which stands for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. It is a severe muscle wasting disease and a life limiting terminal illness. It won’t kill you in six months in the traditional sense of ‘terminal’, but it’s far crueller than that, it steals every muscle in your body first and then kills you, anywhere up to the age of thirty. There have been cases of men living past that into their forties and fifties but only with drastic interventions such as ventilators and tracheotomies, more on this can be found by reading on.
I hope to cover a few things in this book, from a history of my childhood years to a more detailed history from sixteen years onwards and finally onto my current problems and triumphs. At times things I write may make you smile or may make you pause and think about the seriousness of life with this devastating disease. I really hope there will be a cure but currently for us supposedly ‘older’ guys with DMD (over twenty one), there seems very little hope. If I don’t see a cure in my lifetime, I hope my campaigning helps in some way bring it about for future generations, so another child won’t have to see their body wither and die before their time.

2 comments:

  1. Ian..your are an inspiration to so many. I have spent the last three hours crying at my computer. I am not stricken with DMD, I am simply the father of an 8year old boy who is stricken with it. I try day after day to hold things together, but it is difficult. My son suffers from several cognitive and behavioral disorders that are so hard for me to understand. I hope and pray that my son will be able to accomplish just a percentage of what you have. I love all of you kids and men, who have courage that most only dream about. Take care, as I would give my life in a heartbeart to cure just one of you. Mark, California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark,
      I'm really so sorry your son has this devastating disease, and that you have been so upset. I know a few parents in exactly the same place, it really will get easier soon. Have you by any chance joined the PPMD website, there's lots of information there and advice and discussions on DMD. Also loads on Facebook too. Whatever your son can do hold on to that and I'm sure you'll be proud of him. We most assuredly love our parents who help us through our DMD. Thanks for your comments.
      Ian

      Delete